Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Why does my 1998 Mazda B4000 get such BAD gas mileage? Air

Why does my 1998 Mazda...
Why does my 1998 Mazda B4000 get such BAD gas mileage?
JA: When did you last clean or replace your air filter? And are the oxygen sensors in good working order?
Customer: Air filter is new. Don't know about sensors, but check engine light comes on often.
JA: Are you fixing your B4000 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've been taking it to a mechanic when ck engine light comes on n leave there with a bill around $500 each time!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/18/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

So you're on the right track by getting the diagnostics done, but it seems the problem is the shop/technician doing the work. For that kind of money, the problem should have been diagnosed and repaired. First I would talk to the manager of the shops you spend all this money at, then I would call AAA member or not, and they will direct you to a good honest shop.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

There are way too many reasons for fuel economy to drop off, that's why it's critical to get a good diagnosis.

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Current diagnosis by my shop: 1 bad sparkplug n bad fuel injector for $500!
Well, either they were wrong, or there are additional issues that they didn't find.
Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link.
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor