Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

2005 Mazda Tribute. Four out of Five times vehicle turns

over and cranks fine. However...
2005 Mazda Tribute. Four out of Five times vehicle turns over and cranks fine. However it randomly will sometimes not turn over at all. Usually get a one click sound with blinking key light on the dash. Notice that if I put in neutral and push it about 15 yards +/- that it will sometimes turn over and crank - not sure if this is tricking the anti theft system (if that is the problem) or coincidental. Had a friend with snap on tool scanner retrieve code "B1681 PATS"
11/18/2017
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Normally thies symptoms and this code are sign of a failing PATS transceiver in the steering column where the key is inserted.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Will keys have to be reprogrammed by dealer if I replace the PATS transceiver. Is this a common problem with the old tribute?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
can it be replaced with removing the steering wheel?

No programming is needed.

It is replaced by just removing the upper and lower steering column shrouds.

No this is not common.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
dealer only part I assume - or junk yard? Thanks

Dealer or junkyard.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Replaced cranked and ran two times - turned off for about 10 minutes came back and would not crank on the third time. Just one click and key light flashing.

Do you know which codes are stored now?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
No I do not. Would have to get it cranked again and take by friends shop to read the codes.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
where is the anti theft module located?

It is built into and part of the PCM.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Any other suggestions

At this point we are stuck at needing to know which codes are stored now. I can also provide the Ford diag steps for the previous code if that is needed.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
B1600 and B1681
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Just got back from Thanksgiving Holiday. Since the problem is intermittent - could some of these connections that you are suggesting - test good but still be the problem. Also noticed that most of the time it acts up after driving and it has warmed up - will not crank after stopping. Seems to crank right up most of time when its cold.

Intermittent concerns are the hardest to find, but if you thoroughly check things you can rule some of them out.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
File document links you sent are not working anymore?

They expired, they are good again now to be saved this time.

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
If I replace the PCM using out of another tribute - does it have to be reprogrammed at the dealer?

Programmed yes, at a dealer, not exactly, come independent shops can do it.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician