Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I just finished putting my dash back together and my airbag…

I just finished putting my...
I just finished putting my dash back together and my airbag light on my 2008 Mazda 6 v6 now flashes fast twice and one slow, which is a code 21, what does that mean I already checked all ground connections and I still have a bolt for a ground but all the grounds are secured
11/17/2017
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Flashout code 21 indicates an issue with the passenger side air bag. You should probably check the connectors on it and make sure they are seated correctly.

I have checked the connectors and they are all in place but the code keeps coming back on? Could a ground do that with the airbag?

The code indicates specifically an issue with the circuit for the passenger airbag. If it was do to lack of ground likely there would be other things that would bot be working as well. You may want to check any spots where the wiring for the airbag may have been damaged, or pinched by a screw.

I've checked the connectors and is there any way that one side could have been put in upside down? Also I don't see any damage to the wiring itself

Do you mean one of the connectors for the passenger airbag could be upside down?

it doesn't look like it bt I'm trying to cover all possibilities cause the wiring looks good still and hasn't been pinched or torn and the connectors are there but one of them was missing the black piece that holds it in

That is the problem. It needs the black piece.

Why does that need that black piece? Does it help clamp down on the connector and complete the circuit in the connector

Esentially. It helps complete the circuit. That is one of the many safety systems incorporated into the air bag system.

basically as you said it pushes what ever tabs are in the yellow connector down and completes the circuit, without the black piece it can't clamp and can't complete sending out that airbag code even plugged in, am I at least kinda right

that is pretty much exactly right.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician
Now I see alright I appreciate the help and patience I just can't find the piece so I'll have to find one from somewere thanks again eric

Your welcome. Have a good evening. Thank you.