Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My 2010 Mazda 3 would not start so my husband replaced the…

Customer Question
Hello, my 2010 Mazda...

Hello, my 2010 Mazda 3 would not start so my husband replaced the cam sensor because that code came up. After replacing that the O2 sensors code came up, the car still will not start can you tell me what may be wrong.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

We have located the first one and the wire coating was melted but the wires are still good, we will be going to get a socket to get the second one out

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, my husband is actually a mechanic but he isn't sure what to do after he replaces the O2 sensors, he just told me that after he replaced the cam sensor there were no other active codes showing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's why we are having problems finding out what could be wrong

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Mazda Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

when you try to start the vehicle is the engine at least cranking? or is it doing nothing?

ok thank you
it will start to crank but will not turn over

ok, are you getting rpms on the tach when its cranking?

give me just a second and I will check

ok, good. is the theft indicator going out when cranking? also, when you turn the key to the run position, can you hear the fuel pump running?

the pump will only run for a few seconds, so listen closely

ok, do you have starting fluid?

I'm not sure if you got the yes about the starting fluid

just got it, have him spray starting fluid in the intake and try starting it and see if it runs for a few seconds

he is getting ready to try now
that did not work, he pulled one of the spark plugs and checked, there is spark but the plug is dry like there is no gas getting to it?
he checked all of the spark plugs and three were wet but the one was dry, but there is fluid down in all four holes
he got it running and did a compression check found 170-175 on 1,2, and 4, and only got about 90 on #3. He was wondering if residual starting fluid may cause a little bit of rough idle?

sorry for the delay

tell him to add a tablespoon of oil in #3 and do a compression check again

Hows it going?

do you still need assistance? if not, a reply would have been nice. thank you.

Drew
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.