Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

You helped me with info on changing the brake booster for my…

Customer Question
Hey Randall, you helped me...
Hey Randall, you helped me with info on changing the brake booster for my 2010 cx 9, now that I’ve finished my brake lights won’t turn off. I see that the pedal is not engaging the switch, can I adjust anything to make this function correctly again?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mazda
11/12/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

If you unplug or remove the brake switch do the brake lights then go off?

The brake pedal will not push in the plunger on the switch. It’s not an electrical issue. They go off when I manually engage the switch. After the new booster was installed the piece on the pedal that engages the switch for the brake lights touches the plunger but won’t engage it.

So are you saying the pedal is now lower and always pushing in on the switch?

It is in the normal position except it will not engage the switch for the brake lights. I just replaced the brake booster, and now the pedal won’t engage the switch.

If the pedal is not pushing on the switch, the switch contacts should not be closed and turning the lights on.

I know how the switch works, my question is, was I suppose to adjust the booster somehow before installing so that the brake pedal would be in the same position to work the switch? Why is it a shorter travel distance after I put the booster in?

There is not a pedal or booster adjustment. You can review this link to verify that. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukg9gudp1qw5qx8/cxbrake.pdf?dl=0

I believe you may of accidentally pulled up on the pedal during the repair and this has jammed the brake switch into a position where it is now working incorrect. I would remove the switch and verify it works correct while off when in hand then reinstall and test.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Are you still needing assistance?