Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2003 Mazda Protege Speed 84,600 miles has check engine light…

Customer Question
2003 Mazda Protege Speed...

2003 Mazda Protege Speed 84,600 miles has check engine light on. Took to Mazda Dealer where purchased and serviced (have had since new). They tell me turbo and waste gate assembly is at fault. No Mazda part available. Car runs great, idles great. Has two error codes related to O2 sensor. Won't pass mandatory EPA test, can't sell it with check engine light on. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

ON

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?

Don't have the skills or time to try to do myself. Have taken it to three different mechanics, one at dealer, one who has been able to help me in the past with other cars. Don't all say same thing, tend to trust dealer on this most. That's who says it is "probably" the turbo/waste gate assembly (sold as a single unit and only one found - by them - is after market for $2000! Car not worth putting that into it).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When car gets hot after driving for a while, you can smell oil burning so obviously there is a leak. I have previously replaced the head gasket (at dealer a couple of years ago) which probably didn't need to be done, looking back on it. I drive the car very little now <2000 miles per year. Trying to decide whether it is worth keeping it. Can I sell it "as is" and would someone buy it, do you think, with check engine light on, regardless of how well it runs?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Mazda
11/10/2017
Mazda Mechanic: camerontech, Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic

hi there

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech

yes these wastegates are bad for getting stuck shut. the turbos can also leak oil causing a burning smell.

there is unfortunatley not too many options for you regarding replacing the turbo unit.

i would trust the dealers diagnosis over other shops

have you looked into a used unit with low miles or a complete used engine?

this might be more cost effective aproach

selling as is with check engine light might not be as bad as you think as there might be somene jjust looking for a used engine and their turbo unit is n good condition

let me know if i can assist you any further and iwould be happy to help!

please take a moment to rate me and i am always available for follow ups after rating!

thnks and i appreciate positive ratings

caam

camerontech
camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic