Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Auto shop says I need a new transmission control unit. $1300…

Auto shop says I need...
Auto shop says I need a new transmission control unit. $1300
Mazda 3 2010
10/19/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

I don't understand what your questions is. If you already had it diagnosed and you let them fix it, they have to guarantee that it fixes your problem or you pay nothing.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Check engine light came on this morning. Took it to the mechanic and they said I need a new transmission control unit. Three weeks to get the part and it will cost $1300.Is there anything else I can try besides repalcing it?
Is that a reasonable price?

Not really, if it has been diagnosed as being bad, then hopefully they know what they are doing. You may be able to find a cheaper one that has been re manufactured. The prices vary quite a bit depending on where you are and the shops charges.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now for my time and keep this lionk too.

Why does it go bad?

The same reason that light bulbs burn out, it's an electrical component. I'm ready to be rated now.

Thank you.

Well this was useless.

Well, let's see, you have a problem, you got it diagnosed, they told you what you needed, now you ask why it failed. Not too sure what you're looking for.

Please rate me between 3 and 5 starts for my time.

Thank you,

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor