Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Brought my 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring to have a timing

Customer Question
chain put in because he...
Brought my 2008 Mazda CX-7 Grand Touring to have a timing chain put in because he told me that it needed done. I picked the car up got down the road a couple miles it lost all power and blue smoke poured out. I had it towed down there, he had the car for 31 days before he called me down to tell me my engine was ruined. He come up with a couple scenarios that didn't have any truth to them. He claims now that a fuel injector went bad and that's what ruined my engine. I have sense had it towed to a another shop to have a new engine put in. He wants me for $800 to put all new fuel injectors because of what the other mechanic said. My question is is there a way to test them not being hooked up? And is it possible did a bad fuel injector could ruin my engine.? How can I prove he's telling the truth. Keeping the car for 31 days seem pretty shady to me and lying about other scenarios. I'm looking at $5,000 maybe more for for taking my car in for routine maintenance. What the car of shot me a code? Something I should know? Thank you Shelly
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Mazda
10/12/2017
Mazda Mechanic: internal88, Technician replied 1 month ago
internal88
internal88, Technician

Hello, I'm Brandon-Mazda tech.

Sorry to hear this bad news.

The tech claimed the injector ruin your engine is totally lie. There is no possible way a failed injector or injectors would have ruined the engine.

A bad timing chain installation would have ruined the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you please explain this to me in detail. The mechanic who has it now said there are scenarios where this has happened with the interference engine. That it could melt a cylinder

The tech needs to run a fuel injection pressure test. How much was the PSI on the rail. He needs to provide the reading to you.
Without any pressure test reading they cannot prove the fuel injector were the problem.

Did he say one injector or all injectors were bad?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I need you to explain things to me a little more. Like I said the engine is a part and it's not hooked up is this a test you can do when they're just sitting there.? And in my previous question I asked if the car would have shot a code ? Could you please explain why this couldn't happen in technical terms I really need to know.
Mazda Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 1 month ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

new expert here

in rare instances and injector can damage an engine if it stuck on full fuel flow and filled that cylinder with fuel and cause a hydrolock issue and cause a piston or cylinder to melt or actually physically bend the piston rod

as for testing the injectors out of the engine there is no way to do that

the key to knowing if it was an injector or not is can you tell me exactly what they said failed in the engine ?

did a cylinders valves hit a piston and break the piston ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just spoke with my mechanic that has the car now the poor guys in the dark because it was brought to him torn apart so there's no way he could have checked them. He said it looks to him like there's a cut in the cylinder and a cut in the piston. Nothing is burned

that sounds like the timing chain failed or jumped and the valves hit the piston head not from a fuel injector at all

it really sounds like the timing chain job they did failed and caused this issue

an injector would not cause that type of damage to the cylinder wall and the piston head

if you have any questions please ask..i want to be sure you are 100 % satisfied with me here at Justanswer

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the cylinder would have been burnt if that was the case am I correct?

yes or the piston rod bent ..an injector would NOT cause physical cylinder damage just a valve hitting the piston would i am sorry to say

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rate you excellent but I'm afraid once I do that I'm not going to be able to ask you anymore questions from what I'm seeing on my end and I do have more questions as I speak to my mechanic so I will write you when I'm all done thank you.

you can come back to this post any time for any follow up for free any time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Wouldn't I have issues with the car prior to bringing it in to have the timing chain fixed if I had a clogged fuel injector?

yes that is correct

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will write you later today from my experience before being on here I couldn't ask any more questions after I rated. And I don't do well with computers so bare with me I will do it when I'm done thank you. What kind of issues would I have had if it was the fuel injection going bad?

it would have been misfiring and usually setting codes and shaking at idle

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would it have sent me a code for the timing chain being put in wrong?

the injector yes usually a code as for the timing chain when they fail or jump it happens to quick to send a code

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Gary could you please explain to me why the car did not want to start when I picked it up? I only drove a couple miles and that's when I lost all power and blue smoke poured out. Could I have driven that far?

the odds are the timing was off causing it to be hard to start

that is when the valves hit the pistons and caused the engine to break

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could I have driven that far?

if the chain was loose yes then the chain jumped and caused these issues

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
did they not lined the teeth up properly or did they put it in To loose?

that is correct

for the valve to hit the piston the timing chain that they replaced was put on wrong and caused this issue

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please explain to me how they could have put it on wrong? Was it too loose? They could have got all the teeth right but installed it wrong is this what I'm hearing?

it would have had to be too loose for it to jump and cause the damage and when it was hard to start when you picked it up the timing chain was loose causing it to start hard

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a certain amount of time you need to replace your fuel injectors on my Mazda CX-7 or is it just something that you know when it needs replaced?

only when one acts up of not sending in fuel or too much will it need to be replaced

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here's my dilemma the mechanic that has the car now putting in the new engine wants to replace all the fuel injectors for $800 because they are off the car and we cannot test them. I believe it was the timing chain installed wrong it ruined my engine not the fuel injector. If I have him put the old fuel injectors on and we test them and they're okay. My worry in the future is if one goes it'll ruin my engine is that true?

if one is bad it COULD hydrolock the engine

have them put the old injectors in it then test them if they test fine then do not replace them

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What is hydrolock do to the engine?

when an injector send in way to much fuel and fills the cylinder with gas then when the piston comes up it can not push the fuel in the cylinder and damages the connecting rod

again from how that engine looks it was not an injector issue that caused your engine failure

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Could you please explain to me why all four cylinders didn't go and just one?

that happened to be the cylinder that the valves were closer too

its luck of the draw with what cylinder would hit

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was told because it was in Failure condition that for sure only one would go what does that mean?

that usually one cylinder will hit the valves first

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician