Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

When I leave my 2007 cx9 for a couple of days, the battery…

Customer Question
When I leave...

When I leave my 2007 cx9 for a couple of days, the battery goes dead. Can I disconnect something

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes. In fact I am on my 2nd battery this year

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CX-9 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Why yes I have. 2 so far this year. They are NAPA batteries. NAPA checked the draw and it was not out of the ordinary range. They are puzzled why their batteries are going dead.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Just my battery problem. Mazda dealer couldn't tell me anything.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Mazda
What can I disconnect so this doesn't happen when I leave it sitting for a couple of days
9/29/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. You can disconnect the negative battery cable in order to prevent this. Although, with your issue, there has to be more to it, because the battery should not be dead after a couple of days of sitting. You need to check to see if you are leaving anything on that would be draining the battery. Also, you should have the battery tested to ensure that it is holding a charge. The battery itself may just be your issue. Here, I am attaching the removal procedure for the battery. You are not removing the battery, though. You are only disconnecting the negative battery cable.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Is there another way
Do not like the idea of having to reset everything. By disconnecting the negative will this happen

The only other thing to do, is have the battery tested, and if it is faulty replace it. If it is sound, then you have a parasitic drain in the system that has to be located. Just a moment, please.

Also, yes, disconnecting the negative cable will reset everything. Here I am attaching a very good video on performing a parasitic draw test This test will help you locate the cause of the draining if the battery isn't the issue. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwivyqG6-MrWAhXGaVAKHfNgAKYQtwIIKDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKF1gijj03_0&usg=AFQjCNFgVx-BNS1zC2t7ApLmDPtHChbSbQ

The battery is usually the cause.

Watched the video. This gave me more info than our discussion. Am I 100% satisfied? Not really. However your help did help.

I'm glad I could help. I sent the video because it's easier to get a visual instead of me trying to explain over the computer. In our discussion, you were wondering what to disconnect to keep the battery from dying. I told you the battery, and explained that this shouldn't happen and that the issue is going to be either the battery or a parasitic draw. Don't automatically assume it is a draw. It could be more than likely just the battery. You need to have it tested first.

What part are you not satisfied with and maybe I can try to help you.

You keep telling me it is the battery. In the last 18 months we have put in 3 new NAPA top of the line batteries. I just find it difficult to believe the battery is the problem. I will try to see if there is a parasitic draw, as explained in the video. Now, just because I am not 100% satisfied does not mean I shouldn'the pay for your time. How much will be charged to my card?
Mazda Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

No, thank you. Got it covered.

Your'e welcome.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician