Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

After about 15mins of driving it starts to overheat. No leak…

Customer Question
After about 15mins of...

After about 15mins of driving it starts to overheat

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Yes, no leak just when it heats up I see it comes out fomr the bottle thermostat have been changed same issue

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/27/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

what make is your 2004 mazda

its a manual 6 gears engine with 160 miles on it
its the model with a few recalls so I guess its the first generation

I mean the actuall model like for example, tribeca or mazda 6 or rx8

2004 mazda rx8

did you check the thermostat before installing it ? I always make sure they open at correct temperature before install, I have seen many fail brand new

also tried running it without the thermostat and same problem, radiator is new I did over the entire cooling system
Can a clog cat cause this also? or what else can cause this? Is the engine ready to be changed or rebuilt?

ok so you have checked water pump to make sure there is flow and the fans are turning on ?

water pump is good and fans come on when they suppose to, I am at a lost

are you getting a check engine light on and how does it run otherwise?

no engine light, until it starts to over heat it runs perfect

I would do a exhaust gas test on the system to see if there is a leak next. its either that or you have a flow issue somewhere in the engine

where can I do that or how can I do that and how can I check the flow system in the engine?

I would start with the test first, you can rent those from the auto parts store, and you want to drain a small amount of coolant from the radiator and place the tester on top and run vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHp5E7XnbXo

whats the name of the device to ask for?

its a head gasket checker, you dont actually have a head gasket on that engine but you can get exhaust gas leaking though causing the overheating,

if that is the case the engine will have to be rebuilt?

yes unfortunately, did you say you had 160000 on it?

160,000 and never had an issue with it, well maintained

thats pretty good for that engine, thats one of the most problematic engines they have had, one reason why its not in production anymore

yea, I keep reading about other engines failing, but its my daily and its only now I have an issue, worst case scenario, rebuild it or buy a better one
what do you recommend?I just keep having a feeling its something simple that I am missing

I would just start with that test and see what you come up with, its about the only thing that makes sense to me, if it runs perfect before it gets hot that rules out a lot of issues

what readings would it give me to know it is bad?

if you watch the video you will see it change colors from blue to green

ok will do, and if that is not the problem, what else can I do to check the flow?

best way is to use a temp gun and check for cold spots in the system along the hoses and knows coolant paths, also make sure your fans are sucking air in and not blowing it out, sometimes they reverse polarity

hows it going?