Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Alternator putting out to much voltage is new replacment.

Customer Question
Alternator putting out to...

Alternator putting out to much voltage is new replacment

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

Mazda 6 i 2004 4cycl

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced because of battery was cooked and check battery came on after battery replacement then check alternator and it was putting out to many volts about 16

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Old one yes new one no

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/27/2017
Mazda Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

If the old and new alternator were/are both putting on high voltage and the battery has been replaced this indicates there is an issue with the correct charge being sent to the battery.In some cases this is due to the feed cable leading from the alternator to the battery corroded, damaged or loose causing high resistance.The voltage regulator sees an issue with charging and creates a high charge when a cable is at fault.Same with the ground cable from the battery to the body or engine.These need checked to locate if and which is the cause here.

If the cables are found to be o.k. on your model the PCM ( engine and transmission computer ) command and control the alternator charge output.The PCM itself can fail internally to where it thinks there is a low voltage issue and commands the alternator to over charge.I have had to replace the PCM before for faults like this here.

One of these two here will be the cause.If the cables and connections are found to be o.k. then the PCM most likely needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete