Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I hooked up my battery in my 2013 mazda 3 the wrong way and…

Customer Question
I hooked up my battery...
I hooked up my battery in my 2013 mazda 3 the wrong way and now my car won't start
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/26/2017
Mazda Mechanic: EricFromCT, Auto Technician replied 10 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

Have you checked ALL the fuses under the hood and inside the car?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

I checked the fuses and it seems like they're all okay, i did some research and they said to check the main fuse but i can't find it in my car

THe main fuse is located right on the positive battery cable near the battery terminal.

I thought so and i had checked it and it was shorted and i had replaced it but the same problems were still there
. The headlights and tail lights work fine. The problem is that my power locks, the interior lights do not work, the display is working but the radio does not turn on, and obviously my car won't start

First start by checking the BTN1 50 amp fuse and ROOM 15 amp under the hood. Then check the METER fuse 15amp and the D.LOCK 25 amp fuse, which I believe are inside the car.

Will this solve the problem with my car not starting?
I'm more concerned about that than the interior stuff

You need to trace where the power flow is ending. You may have burnt out a fuse box so no power is outputting through the fuses. Or there may e one single larger amp fuse under the hood that is blown so that it is not powering up the interior fuse box. I can not gaurentee your car will start but you need to start diagnosing the problem. Hooking up a battery wrong can be a simple mistake or a real costly one.

What could i have damaged?

A fuse box could be damaged, or a control module would be the most likely.

Ok so i checked the fuses that you told me to check and the ROOM 15 was shorted as well so I replaced that and everything is working fine in my car again. However, my car still won't start. All of the lights on the dashboard stay lit and my car won't lock if my key is inserted.

Is there a security light like a lock or key symbol on the dash that is staying lit or flashing when the key is turned to the ON position.

No, none of the indicators are flashing they are just staying on
Does this mean that the ecm is fried as well

It is possible. I think there is a greater chance that there is still a blown fuse. Check fuse ST SIG 10amp and IGKEY2 40amp.

I checked them and they seemed to be ok

At this point you have to do some testing at the starter relay with a test light. Is that something you can do?

I don't have one

Ok. Testing the starter relay is going to be what needs to be done next.

You can purchase a test light at walmart or any part store.

before I replaced the dead battery, my car would make a rapid clicking noise. But now there is noise at all. I'm assuming that there is a problem with the starter. Would I need to replace the solenoid or the entire starter?

The entire starter as the solenoid is part of it. There is a starter relay in the fuse box.

I checked the relay and it was ok, there's still the problem that all the warning lights are on in my dashboard and that my doors unlock immediately as I put the key in. Is this caused by the ecm? Also I don't think this means anything but the fuel pump was also blown.

Your door locks could be related to the ecm. Also the fuel pump being blown means a lot of stuff got damaged. This could turn rather expensive and time consuming.

What could be damaged

You have a tpms/door lock module. Also the Body Control Module is the interior fuse box and it also controls functions of the door lock, and most other lighting components like headlights, interior lights, dash lights, turn signals.

ok well how can i get my car started

To get your car started its going to take electrical diagnosis. At this point you are going to need to have the modules scanned for any codes and just see if they are even communicating.