Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a problem with my 05 rx8 sometimes it idles like it…

Customer Question
Hey drew I have a...
Hey drew I have a problem with my 05 rx8 sometimes it idles like crap it keeps bouncing from 500 rpms to 1500 then it evens back out to 850-900 and then it just repeats it’s self sometimes the car will idle at 850-900 rpms then rev up to 1250-1500 rpm area then kill itself but I had it idleing for over an hour thinking it has to relearn itself but no luck with that
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mazda
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2017
Mazda Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is the engine also running rough?

Define running rough I did do a tune up new plugs wires all fluids drained

Have you been able to get fault codes? also here is some things you can look at

The only fault codes I’m getting is po420 but we cleared everything in it
It was throwing stuff but I replaced a lot of it and every time I replace it the car was perfect until the engine light came on then it would act up again
Hey I was wondering if you can help me solve why my rx8 is having a rough idle I changed all my fluids new plugs coils and wires new throttle body new throttle position sensor new pedal position sensor new mass air flow sensor new air filter I always use shell v-power gas but sometimes it idles fine and sometimes it just idles like complete shit like last night I drove I drove it to the town next to me which is 20 miles and soon as I put it in neutral at the stop light it idled at 250-500 rpms then jumped to 1500 then killed itself but the next two lights it idled at(###) ###-####rpms but did not die I took it to shell topped it off and drove it back to my town and it threw a P0420 code but there is no cat but I pulled into Walmart and it died I started it up idled at 850-900 rpms for 3-5seconds then went to 1500 rpms then killed itself it did that like 5 or 6 Times then after that I started it up again and it stayed running for 30 minuets no problem with it dying it was just fluctuating from(###) ###-####rpms then idle perfect for a couple minutes then the(###) ###-####rpms again for a bit then idled perfect again it kept doing this I drove it home at the next light the rpms kept dropping to around 500 rpms then back up to around 1000 but never died the car does a have a rebuilt engine from Mazda I think less than 20 or 30k miles ago and a stage 3 clutch less than 10k miles ago
Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago
mike switzer

do you have a lightwhieght flywheel with that stage three clutch?

was done professionally
I drove it today and every I started it up cold it kept dying but soon as I drove it for a hour it and it was warm it didn’t die and the car starts up immediately cold and hot
Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

rotary engine do not like lightwheight flywheels at all. because of how the ignition process works they need the factory whieght flywheel to run reliably.

Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

i used to see this all the time when i worked at a prominent rotary shop in California.

But it dies in idle even without touch the clutch
Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

exactly rotary engines need the mass of the flywheel to keep the engine rotating at low engine rpms. a lighter flywheel does not make for a high idle speed it actually does the opposite even on normal piston engines. you need to tune the ecu to increase the idle for them.

Will I have to replace the clutch also or will a stock flywheel work on a stage 3 clutch
Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

most of them will work with the factory flywheel. that will have to be determined did you buy it as a set or the clutch and flywheel independantly?

I’m not the one who had it installed the guy I bought it from he was selling a car for his friend and he told me it had a newer engine and a new flywheel and stage 3 clutch installed but I’m not sure what brand it is or if it was a kit
Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

that is something you would need to find out. however like i said most clutches even performance ones are designed to be compatible with the factory flywheel. without knowing exactly which one you really wont know until it is apart.

Would you say it’s safe to drive or if I drive it would it hurt anything until I get it tuned
Also with my P0420 light is there anyway around that besides putting a new cat on it
Mazda Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 8 months ago

no way to get around the 420 code. i have seen people use spacers to hold the o2 sensor out of the exhaust stream further and have ha success with that. but it is never a guarantee. as for the clutch no real damage can be done just some drive ability like you are having.