Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My car won't start. I believe the problem is that I blew the…

Customer Question
Hi my car won't...

Hi my car won't start. I believe the problem is that I blew the main fuse on my 2013 Mazda 3 but I can not find it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I need to replace the main fuse

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/22/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Mike V., Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Do you have any electrical power on the car at all?

Ok, can you explain a bit what's happening when the car won't start please?

Everything is working in the car except the interior lights
Nothing happens when I turn the key
I'm pretty sure that the main fuse is blown but I can't find it anywhere online

Ok, Do you hear any clicking or anything from the engine compartment?

There is no clicking

Well, the main fuse would prevent any electrical from getting past the battery, so nothing at all would work. Let me see if I can locate the fuse for the interior lights for you.

Also, is the car automatic or manual?

it is automatic

Ok, give me a couple of minutes to poke around the wiring diagrams to try and locate that fuse for the interior lights. It might power more then just the lights and be causing the problem.

Do you have a test light for checking the fuses?

no

Ok, it looks like fuse #64 in the fuse box inside the car is for the interior lights. Pull it out and swap it with another and see if there is any improvement. I have to look at the other fuse boxes as well to see if there is more.

okay i will do that but why is my car not starting?

Well, I am trying to figure that out. If the fuse for the lights also operates some of the power for the starter relay, it could be the problem.

So, I would like to change it out since I can't see what the fuse powers other then the lights. This is probably going to take us a few minutes to figure out. So please, try to be patient, i have to use you as my hands since I am not with the car.

Look for a fuse under the hood labeled IGKEY2. This supplies some of the power from the ignition switch to the starter. Also, take the car out of park and try starting it in neutral, then back up into park if it won't start. There is also a fuse labeled STSIG in the box inside the car, if either of these is blown the car isn't going to crank. Please check them and let me know.

Thanks.

No they're not blown

Ok, then I believe the issue is going to be with the neutral safety switch. This breaks the connection between the key and the starter. If it's not working then it won't connect and you will have absolutely no sound from the starter motor. This is why I suggested trying to start the car in neutral, sometimes it will prove it is the problem. From here however, I would be 99% positive it is the issue since you don't get any sound at all and all the fuses for the starter are fine.

When I try to start in neutral it makes a click but that's about it

Ok

I would suggest trying to jump start the car. Let the donor car sit on it for 15 minutes, then attempt to start your car in neutral. This will eliminate the battery as a possible cause. Since it's making a click in neutral and not in park, it's pointing to the switch being the issue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

I hadn't heard from you so I thought I would check and see if you need more help with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician