Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Escape with an ABS - 4X4 warning on the…

I have a 2005 Ford...
I have a 2005 Ford Escape with an ABS - 4X4 warning on the dash. I checked all tone rings and cleaned and inspected the sensor (right rear) that was indicated in the C1235 and the C1165 code. The code I also got was C1218 Lamp Antilock Brake System warning Open Circuit Malfunction.
When I start the car in the morning, I put it in reverse and it seems to be in 4X4. The wheels bind for a bit then the car clicks in the rear and immediately announces a warning on the dash "4X4" temporarily disabled. Service brake system.I do my own mechanical repair unless is too big of a job for me.
9/19/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

great thanks

Hey how are you

So at this time we Have C1235 C1165 & C1218?

Can your scanner pull up Individual ABS wheel sensors & read live data speed,like roll down the road and see if the speed is matching on all sensors and the cluster ?

Can you tell me if it is a 2wd or 4wd ,2.3 or v6 ,so i look up correct pin point test for you

lets start here

Click on link to view pdf file for troubleshoot tree and most possible causes on it

Please let me know if you can view file ,

Thank You

Chad Farhat

4WD XLT 2.3 gas engin
the scanner I used to put the codes was borrowed and since returned. I can re-borrowed if we need additional info.The code C1165 read ABS $00
Speed wheel Sensor RR Input Circuit Failure.The next code read:
C1235 ABS $00
Speed Wheel RR
Input Signal MissingThe next code read:
C1218 Trans $01
Lamp Anitlock Brake
System Warning
Open Circuit Malfunction

ok same troubleshoot for dtc c1165 on 4wd 2.3 So you need to start with this one ,the other will go away i believe after fixing c1165

but we fix ,test drive then scan again and see if any come back

now the sensor and the abs pump are common but testing is needed to confirm ,run that test and you will know for sure and you are not throwing parts at it

Read below how to get back in touch with me

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat

I removed the Right Rear wheel and removed the ABS wheel sensor. I stuck a Volt ohm meter on each lead and measured about 1300 ohms - cleaned it, replaced it and inspected the wire for damage up to where the wire disappeared in the car body.

well that is good ,but we still do not know if that wire is good all the way to abs module and if the module is working ,if you cleaned the sensors and inspect ,that is much you can do with out a scanner to read speed and some capable scanner can run test on the pump itself

the abs pump is common , but i can not confirm ,

the wiring is usually is not an issue unless some body messed with it

take abs pump plug ,inspected for burned or broken or damaged pins making no or poor or intermittent connection ,use a flash light to shine in to see better ,spray crc electrical contact cleaner and retest

keep me updated ,read below how to get back in touch with me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Can you help me locate the ABS pump?
Chad Farhat
Thanks
I have found a used part online with a function guarantee. Wasn't going to spend 800 on new dealer part for a car that has 205k miles