Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have a 2006 mazda tribute AWD a the 4wd light just blinks…

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 mazda tribute AWD a the 4wd light just blinks when on ice and snow I had it checked at my dealer they found that the 4x4 module is shutting down 4x4 as part of the overheat protection mode. do not have enough information to further diagnosis. Thanks Steve

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Engine coolant is full

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?

I paid 200.00 plus dollars to the dealer and the first guestion I asked you was what the dealer told me. They could not diagnosis??

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/19/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 9 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Ok, did the dealer tell you what the fault code number was that was retrieved when they did their diagnosis?

Please remember that I am not there and therefore may need to ask for more information at times

The first time I went in the code was c1235. and uo415 they cleaned the RR wheel sensor and said the Mazda was fixed. When I drove the car home the 4wd light started blinking again ,I took the car back in they diagnosis it again and said,,,, They found that 4x4 module is shutting down 4x4 as part of the over heat protection mode.. Do not have enough information to further diagnosis. and sent me on my way.

HI,

Going thru the schematics I believe your control module is faulty and shutting itself down, but without and codes to back it up, I cannot be 100% certain.

Why would the dealer tell me they do not have enough information to further diagnosis?

Because there is no current fault code to confirm a diagnosis. the module runs around $640 parts and labor. They dont want to tell you it needs to be replaced at that price without being able to confirm it first. While this is frustrating for the owner, it really is the best decision as it is looking out for your interests

Thanks for the input.. It makes no sense to me, why would I go to the dealer to get my car fixed and they tell me they need more information to diagnosis? Its not like I have a Mazda code reader in my garage.. I was researching on line with mazdas with the same problem most of their issues was with the rear differential sending the code to the module? what do you think?

HI,

I think they may have explained it poorly. I dont think that they meant that they need more information from you in order to diagnose it, but rather since there are no active codes and nothing showing while monitoring it with their scan tool which has live data feed, that the necessary information to accurately diagnose it is lacking and they wont be able to diagnose it until a fault code sets. Unfortunately some problems take a while to be able to diagnose and repair. It is as frustrating to a good tech as it is for the owner. We like to be able to make a quick and accurate diagnosis everytime, but it is not always possible

If the rear differential sent a code to the module, the fault code would be stored in the control module and retrieved when scanned, so I dont believe this to be the issue.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

As you stated this is frustrating.. the dealer cleaned the right rear wheel sensor the first time the car was in and told me that was the problem (It did nothing)) could it be one of the other three wheel sensors? Should I start looking at the wrecking yards for a control module?
Mazda Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago

HI,

If it were one of the other wheel speed sensors, there should be a Cxxxx code stored.

I would start looking for a transfer case control module (TCCM)

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager