Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

My 1991 Miata seems to have a partial short or ground in…

Customer Question
My 1991 Miata seems...

My 1991 Miata seems to have a partial short or ground in elec system. Not driven much, and after a few weeks the battery is discharged; even with a new battery. Any known placesi should look?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

I have not put a meter on the battery yet, just installed new battery and wanted to troubleshoot likely culprits

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Miata yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, home mechanic. Confirmed ground to frame connection good and positive cable in good shape

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/18/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better. I read your notes and have a question before we proceed. Have you got a multi-meter that can check for parasitic draw? Have you got any aftermarket accessories on the vehicle such as stereo etc?

I will send a link that shows you how to check for this parasitic draw.

In the course of helping you I may on my discretion use links , videos and shop info I feel will help explain and guide you better to solve your issues so in doing so if you have any issues reguarding any info I may send you just ask and I will be happy to clarify things the best I can.

Your issue is a parasitic draw not a short, if it where a short it would blow fuses and such .