Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Wont start, Check all that. Replaced feul pump and it ran…

Customer Question
Check all that. Replaced...

Check all that. Replaced feul pump and it ran for 3 days then stopped

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

06/07

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Replaced feul pump. Checked for vacume leaks. Checkedd feul line

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mazda
Car starts up and runs for 2 secs then revs drop out completely and cuts out
9/17/2017
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 9 months ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

you don't say what model this is is but I'd agree that it sounds like a lack of fuel

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,
Ideally measure the pressure at the injector rail (should usually be around 3Bar / 45psi +) and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

You can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

1 other good test is to run a fresh wire direct from the battery to the pump

if it springs to life then and runs then you know the issue is with the wiring / power supply to the pump

Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you