Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I have an 89 Mazda b2600 4x4 manual. It shut off while

driving and will not start...
I have an 89 Mazda b2600 4x4 manual. It shut off while driving and will not start. Cranks fine. No spark. New coil plugs wires cap and rotor. Has power to coil and resistance levels are in spec.
9/17/2017
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech

If you have power to the coil, then the igniter in the distributor must be bad. Do you have a test light and a digital volt meter so we can do some testing to make sure?

What's the procedure? I'll be back at the shop Monday and can check then.

Dis connect he ground signal wire form the coil. Connect you test light to the battery positive post and the test light to the ground signal wire. Turn the engine over and see if the test light flashes. If it does not, then the igniter is bad.

the coil receives a pulsing ground signal from the coil to collapse into ignition? Is there anything that might prevent the igniter from sending the ground signal besides being bad? I can't get a distributor or igniter for much less than $200 so I just want to be positive before I make a purchase

Check and make sure you have 12 volts tot he black wire with a white strip at the igniter. The only other thing that can keep the igniter from sending a pulsing ground signal to the coil is the timing chain broke and not turning the cam.

Awesome thanks for your help I will let you know how it turns out

You are very welcome.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech