Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I replaced the front wheel bearings on a 2008 Mazda 3. When…

I replaced the front...

I replaced the front wheel bearings on a 2008 Mazda 3. When I put everything back together the rotor is rubbing on the Caliper / Disc Pad bracket. I used after market bearings from rock Auto parts and also one from Autozone but the rotor is still rubbing. I used a Press to insert the bearing and the hub back together. They all fall into place but I keep getting the same results?

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

In good condition. was running real good and never been wrecked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing the bearing with another from Auto zone but same results and I have done this before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Bearing number pulled out was AUO838-3 and replaced it with C Tek###-##-####.

9/15/2017
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

were you able to put the c clip back in and is the rotor your using the same one you pulled off?

Sir

are you reusing the hub too?

sir just replaced bearings on both sides. Pressed in the bearings and hubs into place

so the only factor I can think of is the bearing is backwards not allowing the lip on the hub to sink in all the way and seat on the bearing, if you have a air impact you can to to get it to seat more by using the c/v axle end assembly to compress it together

Its sinking in to far thus the rotor rubbing on the caliper bracket. The car is equipped with 4 wheel ABS and the magnetic side of the bearing goes towards the back where the sensor is located. Verified the magnetic strip with a paper clip.
I have the diagram of the hub assembly here and everything was installed correctly. I have a good background experience working on casr and brake systems, this is a first for me.

oh ok to far, So it could be a variance on the year and the part number, I would check your vin number with mazda and get the hub part number from them, and see if the local stores can cross reference the number to the ones that you bought, just to verify that your getting the right thing, if that dosent work, I have another solution but it will require doing yet another bearing and I know you dont want to do that

I did go to the dealer with the VIN number and they were able to give me the part number. I have tried cross reference on them on line but I couldn't get an answer. The part number from the dealer is BBM2-33-047. And I had given you the other part numbers.

when you did the 2nd bearing did you mic out the old inner race to the new one and compare both parts?

sir the I believe the width is 1.772 both bearings measured the same but the only thing I'm thinking about if the old bearing had a longer center where the hub would protrude @ 1/16 out of the bearing but I couldn't tell because the old bearing came out in pieces.
That was the width on the outer but like I said couldn't tell in the center part of the bearing.

that has to be it, or you will have to shim out the new one again the proper distance and see if they will warranty the old one, im not showing anything im my diagram of any spacers its just hub to bearing and c clip

Correct everything that is pressed on goes in until it hits bottom such as the bearing, then installed the c clip then pressed on the hub assy. until it bottomed out also. I tried pressing it back out to clear the bracket but the hub assy comes loose. I don't know if you know of a recall of the wrong bearings being sold out there. I contacted Rock Auto but I'm waiting for an answer. I'd hate to go by another bearing just to see if it's different.

on the first one one both sides they are in pieces? The answer would be in that,

I'm going to try different auto parts stores and see if I can see and measure the difference on the bearings. I'll see what happens and I'll try to get back with you. If you need any other info from me you can E-mail it to***@******.***.

I can only conduct business though here, you can access it in your e mail

Okay I'll try to get back on do I request TECHPRO049?

no just come back to this conversation it will be saved in your e mail, you can just click the just answers account you have and we can start talking again, there is no extra charges its not a one and done thing, we can talk for a while even after you rate me nothing changes with the conversation

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician