sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

As night my car draws to much power to start even with a

Customer Question

as night my car draws to much power to start even with a boost ever since body work was done
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes to both it will run till i turn off then no power to start again
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2010 mazda 3
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself trying to diagnose got wiring diagram and tester just dont know were to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: they replaced my fender bumper and headlight caseing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!