Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

As night my car draws to much power to start even with a…

Customer Question
As night my car...

As night my car draws to much power to start even with a boost ever since body work was done

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes to both it will run till i turn off then no power to start again

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mazda?

2010 mazda 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself trying to diagnose got wiring diagram and tester just dont know were to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

They replaced my fender bumper and headlight caseing

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/16/2017
Mazda Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!