Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Check engine light came on during normal starting and stayed…

Customer Question
Check engine light came...

Check engine light came on during normal starting and stayed on and will not clear. Do not have scan tool or reader handy at the moment to check for fault codes. 2.3L 2008 Mazda 3

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on. Car has been in and out of the shop quite a bit lately for a series of electrical issues due to a bad battery and a shop that somehow installed the alternator upside down and didn't tighten the bolts.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mazda 3 It just happened about 20 minutes ago when I tried to go to the store down the street from my house. Car had no check engine light on earlier in the day weirdly enough.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that this car has had some serious electrical gremlins lately and it's stumped my local Mazda dealer at least four different times until they figured it out after I pointed out the alternator and loose bolts issues.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/15/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 9 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Anyway you can get it scanned at a parts store and get back to me?

For me to make an educated guess on which code is stored I would need to know what symptoms are noticed.

I checked the gas cap and it's tight and also briefly popped the hood
and looked around. I saw on one of the 3 forums there's a TSB on a faulty
thermostat not allowing the car to get up to proper temps and then causing it
to throw a CEL.
The car has had some issues the last year seemingly one after another
and it's caused me a lot of frustration. It's left me stuck a few times after it
pretty much died and shut off on me a few times. Only seems to act up at night
or when the temps are a bit cooler. Doesn't seem to rear its head until then.
Can't take it to a shop to check codes as I'll be away all weekend out of state,
won't have time to grab my scan tool due to work and having to leave right after.

So far those symptoms are not enough to point a tech into a direction of repair needed. Just looked and there are about 450 codes that can store when the check engine light comes on. You can have one or more of these stored.

It's kind of a tough time at the moment seeing as it's 1 am my time and pitch black out.
I don't trust it enough to give it a ride around the block since every single it's pretty much died
out before I even made it out of my street.
Would be okay if I got the codes scanned and read off and get back to you?

I would feel more confident in my answer if I knew the codes and that can occur later. As of right now all I have as a guess and you would likely rate me bad, get a refund and leave.

Fair enough.

Just reply back later when ready

Okay thank you, I'm sorry for the vagueness of my issues.

No problem

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris