Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I have an 2011 Mazda CX-9 awd. The tcs like light is on and

Hello. I have an 2011...
Hello. I have an 2011 Mazda CX-9 awd. The tcs like light is on and the scan tool is throwing the code c1516
9/14/2017
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

This code means there is an issue with the steering angle sensor output. This could be a bad module, a bad connection on the communication line from the module to the computer. The most common issue would be the steering angle sensor control module. The CAN lines don't fail on these often so I would expect the issue to be the module. In most cases this is something you will want to have properly diagnosed with a computer, then if you can you can replace the failed component to save some money.

Sometimes that's the best avenue to saving money with all the computer control systems on the cars. Even if you replace the steering angle sensor it will have to be reset with a scan tool.

I'm using launch scan tool and and the code c1516 is appearing on the abs module and on the restraint control module. If this is the steering angle sensor can i precise this with my scan tool.

That should work, if you can see the info from the sensor going to the module with your scanner. The module is located under the console to the passenger side. I am sending along a diagram to help. You should see the info from the module on your scanner. Oddly I cannot find a diagram of the SAS in the manual for the car.

I can go into the data stream of the abs module and then chosse steering wheel angle and and i can see it changing from -550 to +550 when i turn the steering wheel

It's not the sensor then, it's the control module causing the issue. I'll pass along the info I have for this. Give me just a moment to create a file for you.

HERE is a link to the info I have on this.

I can also give you the testing info I have.

i can conclude that the traction control module and the airabg control module are in one module??

That is correct, this is part of the air bag system as well.

HERE is the R&R procedure

i just replaced this control unit after the car had a front impact and the driver airbag was diployed.

This is the testing info I have for this,

Maybe you got a faulty module, especially if it's a used one. Not saying it is, but unless you have a wiring issue I can't see why it would be giving this code. You can run the testing to see what you come up with.

Do i need to perform any initializing for the control module. Or for the sensors
I have aslo the code b1013 and b2290 on the sas module does it have any relation

You should not have to do anything other then set the SAS

This is what i have done. I just set the sas and started the car and the tcs light comes on.

B1013 is for the passenger seat weight calibration

B2290 is for a problem with the passenger seat weight control module.

All of these are related to the air bag system including the SAS problem.

Did you use a used SAS module on this?

I thought so, Mazda and most other manufacturers are very specific that after a crash with the air bag deployment, you need to replace it with a new one. There are bars inside that can move, even when the air bag isn't deployed that can cause it to malfunction. I think you need to put a new module in it, then scan for codes to see what comes up. If the driver air bag was deployed, then it's likely it needs a new seat belt pretensioner as well as the obvious stuff.

I think you need to put a new module in the car or try a different used one with the same air bag configuration as the car you have and are working on. Since it's used, you have no idea really which could really cause a lot of issues and use up a lot of your time.

I replaced the sas unit with a used one
Any suggestions pls

Yeah, put a new one in it. Were you able to see my last reply?

- Because a sensor is built into the SAS control module, once the air bags and pre-tensioner seat belts have operated (deployed) due to a collision or other causes, the SAS control module must be replaced with a new one even if the used one does not have any visible external damage or deformation. The used SAS control module may have been damaged internally, which may cause improper operation. If the SAS control module is reused, the air bags and pre-tensioner seat belts may not operate (deploy) normally, which could result in a serious accident. Always replace the SAS control module with a new one. The SAS control module cannot be bench-checked or self-checked.

The sas unit was removed from another Mazda CX-9 accident free. We just removed the sas unit from one car and put it on the other one

I see, is the system identical to the one you are on?
Side air bags and so forth same setup I mean?
If it is, then I can only say use the testing procedure link I sent to you. This is a pretty straight forward test for continuity on the wiring.

the car is the same system. I'll do the testing procedures and get back with u. Thank u very much and have a good day

You're very welcome it does show there could be some other issue with the abs module possibly causing the issue, but without doing the testing I don't want to just say that's the problem.

Hello sir. How r u today. Well i have done the testing you advised me to do. And found that there is no prb at all in the wiring. My conclusion is that the abs module which is the same as the traction control mode dule i guess is mot receiving a signal from the roll rate sensor which is embedded in the airbag control module. Now what i thought about is since we replaced the sas module does it need any calibration or initialization so that the traction control module recognizes the sas module. ? Or there is any other suggestions what you mentioned about abs??

I have to apologize. I was so worried about determining the code and how to diagnose it, it did not cross my mind. The module has to be re configured. You are going to need the dealer to do this I believe. I am sorry I didn't think of that! again just trying to figure out what the heck with the code. There isn't much info on it, basically alldata says hook the dealer laptop to the car and press configuration....follow the instructions on the laptop...

Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Technician