Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

Engine started idle low after having a ticking sound for a…

Customer Question
Engine started idle low after...
Engine started idle low after having a ticking sound for a week. Oil had gotten lower than expected but then started to die as the rpms dropped. Almost made it home when it died and wouldn't start back up. Starter cranks but engine won't fire and the crank position sensor ohms out just fine.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/14/2017
Mazda Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. are you getting rpms while cranking? did you check for spark? does it sound like a normal strong cranking? is the theft indicator going out while cranking? have you checked for injector pulse?

are you there?

It's a weak crank when it tries to crank no rpms Haven't checked for spark, or injector pulse. And not sure what or where theft indicator is. Had a few people say they think the stater going out could cause this. Could a starter going out cause a low idle and then stall? Was told a number of things such as starter relay, ignition relay, or possibly inertia switch could all cause this. But many of these seem all of a sudden or immediate and it was giving signs driving around town earlier that day dying during braking or long turns with no gas. Once I got off the highway it started losing engine power and would barely accelerate until it suddenly quit with a bit of smoke.

that sounds like a fuel issue. what is the battery voltage. if its depleted that would account for the weka/slow crank. also o rpms would indicate the crankshaft position sensor isnt signaling the computer that the engine is rotating therefore its not pulsing the injectors

Need to test the battery but had it connected to charger for 20 minutes. Could the position sensor be bad and still read correct ohms? And wondering if and what kind of fuel issue could gradually cause these issues and then finally not start back up. Some say the inertia sensor could be tripped but that sounds like an immediate shut down more than a gradual.

the inertia switch would cause an immediate shutdown and not let the vehicle start back up until reset

to make sure the crank sensor is doing it job and receiving the correct power and ground, you would need to remove the connecotr. check for 5 volt reference and ground to the connector. then plug it back in and back probe the signal wire to make sure it is supplying rotation voltage to the computer

hows it going?

Been hitching a ride from my parents. Haven't had time to get to it. Ordered a starter even though I protested it to please my dad even though I have almost no cash to make it until next paycheck. I appreciate the help but I might just sell it to the junkyard and get a vehicle that hopefully makes it until tax time.

so its cranking but you still ordered a starter?

I guess I don't really know what a crank is. Got in a fight with my father about it. He can't even make it over to listen. It doesn't fully turn over just sounds like the stater is struggling to crank. I don't think it's the starter at all.

cranking is the engine trying to start. if its struggling and cranking slow it could be the battery.

I tried to charge it and had it on for 20 minutes on the start setting but I guess it could be that. I did just replace the alternator.

you need to check the battery voltage while you are cranking the engine. if it falls below 9.8 volts then the battery is bad or the starter is dragging down the voltage.

OK I'll look into checking that. Would a multimeter explode if I used on?

no. thats what you should use

OK I'll have my wife crank it while I test it later

ok

hows it going?

I just tested the battery and had my wife crank it. The voltage dropped down to 9.3v. So when I charged it last time I took the charger off and it wouldn't start. This time after we tested it I hooked the charger up and put it on 12v 125amp start and it started up. When I hooked up the multimeter before she cranked it the voltage didn't even go above 11.8. I read it should be in the12.25 range.

replace the battery

Smoke came out the back thinking the cat need cleaned out replaced but there's a knock in the engine possibly a lifter tick I've read about. But seems like the main culprit might be the battery. I'm going to change the starter regardless. I'm going to sell some things and try my hardest to get a battery. I changed my alternator about a month ago and it got better. There was an after market radio connected incorrectly to the power that wouldn't turn off unless I disconnected the face. I got it connected correctly and there was a wire I think was powering the original sub from the previous premium radio. When I tried to figure out how to reconnect it it kept sizzling and sparking so I disconnected it and covered the ends. Still need to rid of it but it did stay on a few times and I think the battery has been thru a lot of hell. Still worried there's more wrong with the cam but hoping the battery saves it for a while when replaced. Currently can't make it to work until I get this figured out and getting close to foreclosure :( sob story galore, just worried about shelter for my kids. Seeing the hurricane victims gives me some blessed feelings and humbling perspective though. Sorry for the abundance of extras to my story. I do really appreciate your help this far

Once you replace the battery we can work on the other issues, I will keep this open for as long as that takes.

Will soon have the battery replaced looking into some resources but I did have a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust and also some fluid. It is making a loud ticking noise as well but I will wait until battery has been replaced to go over these issues because I'm sure the bad battery is causing issues at the moment. I'll get back to you as soon as we are able to get a new one in.

ok

Got battery replaced. Engine knocking won't idle high enough and shuts off after sitting for about 10 to 20 seconds. Mechanic came by and thinks the rod is shot. Think it might be time to sell

sure sounds like it.

I appreciate the help. I'm going to try a trick I read about putting a little more high viscosity oil in.

add some lucas complete engine treatment in

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.