sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

My wifes 2013 cx9 has the liftgate stuck mostly open...won't

Customer Question

my wifes 2013 cx9 has the liftgate stuck mostly open...won't move apparently
JA: Are you fixing your CX-9 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet...wife at target parking lot...I'm just starting to assess. she says it is 2/3 of the way open and wont move up or down
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes, battery is good. Wife says it was squeaky when opening
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sounds like drive arm to motor won't budge in either direction from the way she is explaining it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the liftgate is stuck at 2/3 open and will not move either under power or by hand then there is very little chance that the drive unit has not failed. The only other real possibilities would be damage struts, binding hinges or physical damage to the liftgate or body preventing it from moving, which I don't expect to be the case.
I would recommend removing the arm from the drive unit to the liftgate and see if you're then able to move it normally. If ok then a visual inspection of the drive unit would need to be done next, if removing the arm allows the liftgate to move then that should condemn the drive unit.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!