Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

I lost my ignition key and want to remove the ignition.

Customer Question
I lost my ignition...

I lost my ignition key and want to remove the ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Mazada wagan 2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have the ignition assembly at have and I need to remove the machanism

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I need to know what tool I must have to remove the ignition mechanism

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Mazda
9/10/2017
Mazda Mechanic: EricFromCT, Auto Technician replied 11 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Auto Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

There are 2 ways to remove the cylinder. One is to use a drill and drill out the center of the lock cylinder with a large drill bit. Then you can work the piece out. The other method which I prefer, is to screw a large lag bolt into the lock cylinder. Then use a slide hammer with a vise grip, or similiar, attachment on the end, and grab onto the bolt and slide hammer it out.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

I did not only want to remove the ignition. I want to remove the entire lock mechanism. The approach you are telling me, I already knew. So tell me what tools I need to remove the lock body.Thanks

That would be the lock cylinder housing. There are no special tools to remove it. You just disassembly the steering column down to the housing and there are 2 bolts that hold it on.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.