Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

Timing chain tensioner failed. replaced timing chain and

Customer Question
tensioner and have zero compression...
Timing chain tensioner failed. replaced timing chain and tensioner and have zero compression after putting back together.
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: 103k has nbeen running perfect
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2006 4 cylinder 2wd
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tribute
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Which model is your Mazda please?

for clarification i did not do the work. this shop has don e work for our family for years. but im not convinced of his mazda knowledge,

Can you tell me what model your 2006 Mazda is please so I can check engine size for you ?

base model 2.3l

Okay the 2.3 is consider an NON-interference engine which means if the chain come loose the valves should not be damaged but in some case depending on how fast the engine was turning it can smack the valves and if your mechanic is 100% sure the timing chain is aligned properly and you still have 0 compression then its likely you do have valve damage. I would suggest he rechecks the timing chain alignment again to be sure its pot on and if so then you are most likely looking at valve damage.

If timing is off will that cause zero compression

Yes it will if the Chain alignment is not correct.

I think I need to pay him and have it towed to Mazda dealership for the to look at timing
a decent mechanic not trained in Mazda should be able to set timing correct

That may be best if he is not familiar with this engine. Any good mechanic should be able to align the timing chains for sure.

had stopped for gas when tensioner failed. turned off vehicle and it would not start back. i could see valve damage if running down the road at high rpm

I would agree with that as well. If that is the case then that only leave the valve timing. The chain alignment needed to be rechecked.

Install new timing chain and tensioner $756 and truck still not running

The price is right but it should be running and Im not sure I would pay him until it it is.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician