Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

2004, Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback, 1st off I had a cracked

Customer Question
Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback ...

Mazda 3 2.3 hatchback

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

1st off I had a cracked retaining ring on the gas tank so I could smell fuel after driving

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

So I replaced the fuel pump and the retainer ring the car started right up by went to the gas station and put gas in it was hard to start for the next 5 times then it would not start at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So I got a second fuel pump replace fuel pump again also replaced the mass airflow sensorThe canister purge valve I also check the voltageAt the fuel pump it is fine I also check the relay it is fine the pump primes but I get no fuel at the fuel rail to the Palm

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Mazda
I've tried everything I can think of with no luck
7/30/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. Are you getting any codes?

Ok, I'm not a pro but I know a good bit about cars.
I was getting evaporated codes prior to replacing the first fuel pump. The reason I had to replace it was when 2 was replacing the retaining ring ( which was cracked and leaking fumes) the fuel line barb snapped off.

So we should check fuel pressure at pump and see what your getting if pressures are good you have a restriction somewhere

At this point I changed the fuel pump. The car had about 1 gallon of fuel and it started right away. I drove to the gas station and put about 10 gallons in the car. It was hard to start but ran fine.After a couple days of hard starting it finally wouldn't start at all so I replaced the fuel pump again same thing drive to the gas station put $9 of gas in hard start later that night wouldn't started all now I have no fuel pressure I hooked up a gauge between the fire wall and the fuel rail
I check the voltage at the pump its 11.86 the relay kicks on so I'm getting power to the pomp you can hear it priming but I'm getting no fuel

somethings weird, 11.86 seems low at running voltage, it should be mid high 12v, sounds like a ground or power issue

The car is not running that is while priming
Is it possible that I got 2 bad pumps from Advanced Auto
I thought about the power issue but the fuel pump I replaced the first time worked fine. The problem didn't occur until I put the aftermarket pump in.
Are we still here?

yes sorry Im helping a ton of other people, have you checked grounds? also checked power further up the system to see if your having any power loss?

No, like I said the pump I replaced wasn't bad. It worked fine. Why would a power issue just show up with a different pump?
Is it possible that I got defective pumps
Drew
Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.