Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute. Once the car has been running

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute. Once the car has been running for 15 minutes or longer and you turn it off it takes 45 minutes to an hour for it to start again. It turns over on the starter quick but then acts like a dead battery and will not crank over. Strange after the motor cools down it starts right up no issues. I have replaced the starter, egr, cam sensor, throttle assemble, battery, all the cables to and from the starter and the battery, new fuel injectors, spark plugs, wires, and last the all the coils. I have measured the output on the alternator and it is fine. I looked into codes and have none.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: yes, and replaced the battery.
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, read the first paragraph
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site, when it doesnt start but cranks o you remember if you get rpms on the tach while its cranking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I do not get RPM. Also, to clear up on the cranking. It cranks for 1 to 2 seconds then stops as if the battery died or the starter is frozen. If you keep the key turned it will burn up all the wires to the starter. This possibly lead me to a solenoid issue however, i replaced the starter and no difference. I felt the wires had poor connection and rewired everything to the motor on the ground and to the battery. No difference.

if you have no rpms then the crank sensor isnt telling the computer the engine is rotating and will not allow fuel to the injectors.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would not matter if fuel was going or not. If the starter does not turn over and burns up the wires. Again it would crank just not fire.

you said that it ill crank but not start until after 45 minutes, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I said if you drive it for more than fifteen minutes and the motor warms up, you turn it off and then go to start it. if will attempt a crank and freeze up and do nothing like something is locking the pistons, or starter. If you keep the key in the ignitions turned to start it will burn up all the wires to the starter. After 6 or 7 times of short burst attempts to turn the key and attempt to start it will drain the battery. After 45 minutes when the motor cools off, it fires up like nothing is wrong, strong crank, strong battery.

Ok, I have no more ideas for you so I will open this up so that others can chime in. good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
don't feel bad I have had this problem for 3 years and 6 mechanics have not given me an answer to a solution