Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My 91 RX 7 will not stay running once I get it started. I

Customer Question

My 91 RX 7 will not stay running once I get it started. I have a code for the trottle position sensor, would that cause the problem. Car has about 106K miles on it but about 18K on a totally rebuilt stock 13B engine.
JA: Does the vehicle hesitate during acceleration? Or maybe speed up suddenly when you aren't even hitting the gas?
Customer: No as of late I can't keep it running long enough to get it out on the road.
JA: Are you fixing your RX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I work for a power utility and I'm on call all the time so I really haven't had a chance to do anything to it. I was looking for rather simple things that I could look at before I try anything more involved. My mechanical skills as far as cars is rather limited.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Yes, the TP sensor would cause it to not stay running if it is not commanding the the throttle body plate to open, therefore no air to the combustion chambers.

But before replacing it, check that the throttle body is clean from carbon buildup and check for any broken/crimped/chafed wiring to the TP sensor