Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I own a 2006 MX-5 since new. The suspension I've tuned so it

I own a 2006 MX-5...
I own a 2006 MX-5 since new. The suspension I've tuned so it rides and handles perfectly. The engine has never been touched. It only has 30500 miles on it! I LOVE my car!!! But, are there any "high lift" camshafts on the market that will give me a little more ZAP! Without rebuilding the entire engine?? I'm an old 1960-ish "GEARHEAD" and dream about the old Zora Arkus-Duntov hi-lift cams that made my 1960 Corvette awesome. What's on the market for 2006 and newer MX-5's??? Thank you, ***** *****
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: Not a speck.
JA: Are you fixing your MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes and no. At 73 I don't crawl under anything mechanical anymore! Sorry I forgot the second question. Most of the bolt on items that make it sound and handle better.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing real important other than this car will go to the grave with me!
5/15/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Cosworth( as an old gearhead, I imagine you are familiar with them), makes performance cams for your MX5 Miata.

Engine Code Engine Type Cam Lift (mm) Duration Notes
MZR 2.0L, 2.3L, 2.5L DOHC VVT
Intake 9.8 264°
Exhaust 8.36 244°

http://www.theboombopshop.com/Cosworth-Camshafts-06-09-MZR-MZ1-p/20002515.htm

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric,
Thank you very much for the Cosworth tip. I hadn't thought about them. Your help was timely, specific & to the point. I rate your site max points in all areas.
Thank you,
Jerry F.
No thanks

you are welcome and have a great week.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager