Roger, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
88470418

Passenger window is stuck, 2008 mx5, took the car out of

Customer Question

passenger window is stuck,
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: 2008 mx5
JA: Are you fixing your MX-5 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: took the car out of storage, windows worked ok for several days. then both stuck, checked fueses and they were fine. slammed door several times and now the drivers side door is working.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I took the panel off, I see white grease in the rail. I think it may be jammed
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
Hello, I'd be happy to help! First does the motor make any noise when you press the switch up or down?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just a single click, same sound I heard on the drivers side door before it started working again. I also notice the headlights dim slightly when I click on the power window switch. Also the light is displayed on the both power window switches. I purchased spray silicon greese and have sprayed it on the track for the window.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
Ok, since youbalready have the panel off the next thing to try is to see if you can access the bolts that hold the window glass to the regulator. It sounds like power and ground should be at the motor if the lights are dimming.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It would be very difficult to get to the motor, I don't know if I could get everything back together. Lots of wires, lots of bolts to get full access to the motor
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
Gotcha. Typically, because the inside of the track is lined with soft felt or rubber, the glass itself will not be what gets stuck, it's actually the internals of the window motor that get stuck in most cases. That being said, if you do not feel confident taking it apart, I would put the panel back on and take it to a reputable shop. If you attempt disassembling it and fail to get it back together, a lot of shops won't agree to work on the window, or they will and just charge more. I never advise my customers to repair or replace something they have 100% confidence in.
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.
Please remember to rate, as I don't get compensated unless I've been rated. If you have any questions regarding your window let me know. Thank you!