Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

I have a 2012 Mazda 6, 97k miles, it has always ran fine

I have a 2012 Mazda 6, 97k miles, it has always ran fine then this morning it cranks but didn't start till 2nd or 3rd try then runs fine, stop car does the same.
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: The fuel is half tank, I have not checked spark plugs
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It is a Mazda 6 and I have not had time to work on it yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Just to be clear, it will crank and not start or no cranking at all?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It cranks jist fine, but takes 2 or 3 tries to start
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then runs fine

Ok, please give me a moment to type my reply.

This usually indicates a possible issue with the fuel pump. If the fuel pressure is dropping off from the engine, then it will take a few attempts to get it up to the engine and then the car will run fine. This is usually an issue with the one way check valve in the pump module itself.

However, if you can, before you attempt to start it, unplug the mass air flow sensor. Sometimes these will cause the problem and if you unplug it and it fires right up, I would replace that first.
Make sure to check your air filter as well. If it's dirty it might not be getting the right fuel mixture to start.
Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please be kind and remember to rate my answer using the stars at the top of the page. Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the mass airflow sensor located on air filter intake

Yes, that's the one. Sometimes they can cause issues like this without ever setting a code as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I will check those things thanks and give you a rating

Thanks I appreciate it. If there isn't any change then it's likely the fuel pump. The only way you can really test it is set it up and get pressure on the gauge, then let it sit overnight and see what the gauge says. It shouldn't drop anymore then about 5 psi