Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as a automotive tech
7276279

I have a 2003 Mazda Tribute LX that broke down in

I have a 2003 Mazda Tribute LX that broke down in Jacksonville with my daughter's boyfriend coming home. He had a friend come out - and they found that the EGR had a hole in it. We tracked down a replacement in the area - and within less than 2 hours, the very same thing happened again. What could this be??
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, my daughter's boyfriend bought a new EGR and replaced the one that had the hole in it. He's just trying to get home. But the same thing happened again - and the new EGR also has a hole in it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: He said before he found the EGR with a hole in it that when he would push on the accelerator, there was a hissing sound and it didn't want to go accelerate. But I'm assuming this has to do with the EGR.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I guess once he found the EGR with the hole in it, he assumed it was from that.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The fact that its burning a hole in the EGR valve means that the exhaust is restricted meaning the catalytic converter and causing the exhaust to back up due to back pressure and that cause the EGR to burn. The hissing you are describing is likely coming from the the restricted catalytic converter. In order to resolve this issue he is going to need to get the converter replaced so the exhaust can flow.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much!!! Thank God my daughter's boyfriend is from that area and has friends there that know some mechanics in the area that are family and hopefully won't try to rip us off. They've been such a great help too in helping him out. He's still about 3 hours away and we're just trying to get him home safely. I guess we will leave the car there with his friends to take to a shop, have it repaired and go back and get it when it's done. I greatly appreciate your help!!! Thank you so very much!!!!

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No need for phone call - you've been a great help. Like I said, I think we'll just leave it there, go pick him up and get him home and just wait for a phone call that the car has been fixed. Thanks again!!!

No problem, thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.