Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I have a 2003 Miata (base) - both turn signals stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Miata (base) - both turn signals stopped working, fuses all ok (checked w/tester) and emergency 4 way flashers work fine (all bulbs flash). Thinking it might be the relay or the turn signal switch. Thoughts?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 34,000 (just purchased used), car starts normally. Signals worked fine on a 1 hour trip but didn't on the way home.
JA: Are you fixing your Miata yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I had put an add-a-fuse gizmo on the turn signal circuit in the pass. compartment fuse box for a pair of led drls I added. Was working fine afterwards. As a test I removed the add-a-curcuit and put the original fuse back in and it didn't fix the problem. Neither fuse on the curcuit was blown, and the add-a-fuse was put in facing the proper direction.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I tested all fuses in the pass. and engine compartment and all are fine. 4 way flashers work fine.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 5 months ago.

Hello, have you checked the turn signal flasher?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, but the signals work and flash when the emergency 4-way flasher switch is pressed.

It has a different flasher for hazard and turn signals.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK - I'll try to find it and check it out. Is that diagram from a 2003? Doesn't seem so, nor very useful in locating it.

Unfortunately that is the only picture provided by mazda. I will opt out and let another expert help you.