Mazda

Mazda repair questions? Ask mechanics for answers ASAP

2005 Mazda Tribute has a faint pop or backfire in the intake…

Customer Question
2005 Mazda Tribute has a...
2005 Mazda Tribute has a faint pop or backfire in the intake snorkel when the cooling fans cycle or sometimes gassing it or it's coming down to catch the idle, does have some random miss firing at idle very few has all original coils. Customer said Mazda tune it up last year any ideas on the light popping noise it's very light usually only dies it once
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2017
Mazda Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Backfiring through the intake is in most cases caused by an engine misfire. Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It had a number five but I can't get it to do it again

Have you checked the spark plug and the coil on that cylinder. You may want to try swapping the #5 coil with the #4 and see if the misfire moves. If it dose then that would mean the coil is failing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did that no luck I get random light random light miss fires across all cylinders took off egr valve it holds customer has some wireless device plugged in to obd connecter they sent an email and it said #5 miss and driver but I can't duplicate and hate to send off the engine controller fir the driver.

Did you try swapping out the #5 spark plug as well?

Well the most common cause for this type of issue on this engine is usually a bad coil. If you sure that is NOT the issue then I would do a running compression test on this cylinder and compare it with a couple of the other known good cylinders. If the running compression test looks okay then I would try swapping the #5 injector with the #4 and again see if the misfire moves.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician