Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My "Wrench" light is on in my 2012 Mazda5. (Touring, 51k

Hi, my "Wrench" light is on in my 2012 Mazda5. (Touring, 51k miles.)I just replaced a broken brake light switch in the van. I couldn't shift out of park and had no brake lights. Shifting and brake lights work normally now.At or around (sorry I can't be more specific - it was just before the holidays and it is all a blur) this same time, the wrench light came on, so I changed the oil and filter, plus the air filter which were due anyway. I reset the wrench light by holding in the trip button while turning on the ignition, holding the button, then turning it off and back on. Now the light comes on very shortly after each time I start driving, within a 1/4 mile, probably.Also, I cannot engage cruise control. Main cruise power / light will come on and stay on, but I cannot set a speed. This part seems related to the brake switch, but I don't know how to prove it. The brake lights do not come on, so I know the switch is not stuck closed. Could the wrench light be related to a bad brake switch? How do I start tracking this down? Is there any way to pull codes or some diagnosis from the wrench light. The MIL is off (I checked for codes anyway) and the van seems to run well otherwise.I tried looking for a fuse for the CC system, but the owner's manual doesn't show a location for one, just a lot a vague fuse locations that I don't really what they are for.The dealer service department wants $155 to walk in the door and shake his hand. Not interested.Thank you for your help!

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Moose,
Are you still available?

Do you have the ability to get the vehicle to a parts store for a free scan to see which codes are stored?

Do you need a cruise control wire diagram to start checking all the switches involved?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There are no MEL codes through the OBDII. I can get to a shop. Will they be able to pull these separate, non-OBD codes? I'd be happy to have the wiring diagrams. I have an electronics background, so I am comfortable with schematics and wiringYou don't think this has anything to do with the brake switch I just replaced? Seems very coincidental.Thanks,
Dave

The wrench light comes on for engine or transmission concerns, there will be codes stored if the right scan tool is used to access them.

Here are the wire diagrams.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/speedcontrol.pdf

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, got it.
What kind of tool is needed? I've only ever had the standard MIL codes pulled. I'm going to go try now.Thanks again,
Dave
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I hit two parts stores and a Firestone repair shop. None of them can pull anything but OBDII codes. Do I have any other options? Is there a tool I can buy? Do you know where the cruise control fuse is? I'd like to at least look at that. The owners manual doesn't say.

The diagram I sent shows all of the fuses that can be related to speed control. They are top center of the diagram.

A dealer equivalent tool is needed. Those are very expensive. I do not recommend buying one unless you plan on working on Kia's for extra income.

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Chris,
I am sorry to keep you waiting. It is not that I am not pleased, not at all. I am trying to test out your suggestions. I am working on it. I will, and always do, rate on JustAnswer. I won't leave you hanging. Promise. My nearest Mazda dealer is pretty far away and no one else can read these bloody codes. I am planning to get there today. I will let you know after that.I cannot access the Dropbox file any longer. Can you send that again? I will save it as soon as I see it.Thanks and sorry,
Dave
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Never mind with the diagram. It was the switch. A faulty replacement brake switch. I got an OEM to replace the aftermarket I bought and all is well in the world.Thank you for your help.

Super news