david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have recently bought a mazda 6 2.2 sport 2010. Ive had it

Customer Question

Hello I have recently bought a mazda 6 2.2 sport 2010. Ive had it less than a month and it's broken down 3 times now. The problem is when o depress the clutch a red key symbol appears and I can't start the engine, I can't even get the radio or anything on. The battery is fine though, it's been checked. I took it to a garage and they reset diagnostics and it works, for a while anyway. The person I bought it from said he had work done to it by a mazda dealership for the same problem and they have replaced the keyless control module and the instrument cluster. He said it was running fine after that but I have my doubts. As this is the same problem which he described. The diagnostic is electronic ignition lock malfunction, battery saver relay voltage out of range, battery voltage too low for p179416 and same for p056016.any advice would expect appreciated
Category: Mazda
Expert:  david craig replied 9 months ago.

Hi Im david, thanks for visiting the site, has anyone tested the alternator?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, not that I know of no. There doesn't seem to be an issue when I'm driving it and it's actually working. The lights radio power steering etc all seem to be fine. The guy I bought it from did say he put a new battery in it but just because it had been sitting a little while.

P0560 - System Voltage Malfunction Possible causes - Low battery charge - Battery defective - Loose or missing alternator drive belt - Faulty alternator - Open or short system voltage circuit

P1794 MAZDA - Engine Control Module Battery Voltage Low 0 | Add Comment Possible causes - Faulty Battery - Low battery charge - Blown fuse

Iwould have the alternator tested and i would also have the power input wire checked to the ecm by doing a continuity test and check for a high resistance short to ground on the same wire.

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, they checked alternator etc and also battery but couldn't find anything. They think it's the ignition barrel so I can get it replace for £450 or they said I could try and source a second hand one.

why do they "think" the ignition key cylinder is bad? Do not let them do anything until they can prove that its bad.

especially at that price.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They said the diagnostics kept bringing up ignition barrel fault. I said I would try and source one because they did say they can't be 100% they rare just going by what the machine is saying so I've managed to find one for 96 pounds so least if it's not that I'm not out 450 plus labour. Fingers crossed. Thanks for the check up. Will let you know what happens,the part is suppose to be coming tomorrow.

ok. thank you

just checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Still waiting on the part coming. Was suppose to be yesterday so hopefully today. The garage said would only take an hour or so to replace when it does arrive.

ok, thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, update. New ignition barrel didn't fix problem so have to see if I cn send that back. Garage are out of ideas and said they don't want to or on it any more. They will reset codes and get it working so I cwn collect it but It I'll break down again.

this what i hate. these frickin guys just throwing parts at cars without knowing if its bad or not. they told you it was bad because they had no idea in the first place, so they went with the most likely cause. well my friend, "most likely" dont fix cars.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Aye so now I'm screwed. Basically after I pick it up tomoro I have to keep it running until I can find somewhere that will take it nd actually fix it or else take it to a dealership which is over about an hour and half away but have no way of getting back if I have to leave it there. Plus it's Saturday so got no chance really.

unfortunately the dealer will probably need to reprogram the keys, so the immobilizer stops dumping memory

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can reprogramming the keys be done anywhere else except the dealership? And if that's the problem hy did it work for about a week and a half then just not start?

a certified locksmith with the proper equipment can also do it. it would be cheaper also.

as far as why did it happen now? why does anything on a vehicle quit working? it happens

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But I mean why would it work for a week or so and cut out and after reset it might work for a few days or only one start and stop? Does that sound like something that is consistent with keys needing reprogrammed?

it sounds like an intermittent transponder is what it sounds like. another thing is a weak battery (vehicle battery) can cause this. if the battery doesnt read at least 12.5 volts dc while sitting then it can issues with the fobs and key transponder. so check your battery voltage.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK, thanks. The garage did say they checked the battery but I have doubts if they actually know what they were checking for. I will see if I can source. Locksmith with the capabilities on a Saturday. I did notice that with the red key symbol coming up the car didn't start but then another symbol started coming up, a car with a lock and I read in the manual that that symbolises the car not picking up the key signal so to check batteries and make sure phones aren't interfering with signal etc. So it does sound like ur on to a winner. Just trying to find someone who can fix it now.

ive been around a while and have seen just about everything.. good luck to you. please accept the answer and leave a positive rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance. thank you and have a great weekend.

.