Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

1998 mazda 626 4cyl. pushed down clutch peddle on way to

Customer Question

1998 mazda 626 4cyl. pushed down clutch peddle on way to work and it stuck down,I can pull up but will do the same again. There are no leaks that I can see,and the brake fluid level is high.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and respond with the assistance you need!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Usually this means the clutch master cylinder has a problem. What you need to do is get an assistant to help you bleed the system. The reason it's not returning is because or usually because the slave cylinder isn't pushing against the shift fork. This is either because there is air in the system, or because the master can't push the fluid into the slave cylinder anymore. Bleeding this is like bleeding brakes, have them push it down, open the bleeder on the slave cylinder, then let the air out, close the bleeder and have them pull up on the clutch pedal. Continue this until the pedal returns on it's own. IF you can't get it to return on it's own, replace ti and rebleed the system.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where is petcock to bleed located,and what is the best way to access
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

It is on the slave cylinder mounted on the transmission, you may be able to access it from the top under the hood, I am not 100% sure, it's been a long time since I did one on a mazda, do believe it's on the driver side.

Sending a diagram along to try and help.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Also, please remember to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
whet out to try your surrgestion, the peddle was working,pushed down and up several times o.k. turned on the motor and peddal still working. When I tried to move car peddel sticking again. Is this common with the answer you gave me or does this point to something different. Thouight I would relate to you before bleeding. thanks for the attachment, easy to access form under hood
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
bled system same problem .peddle works fine up and down. When you put in gear and release sticks
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

This sounds like the clutch master cylinder has failed to be honest. When it won't come back it's because the slave cylinder isn't pushing on the pressure plate.

If you have a helper, watch the slave and see if it's pushing when you press the pedal, if it is and it's still not returning, it's got a problem with the pressure plate.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Do you need more help?