Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I have a 2002 Mazda Protege, for some reason a buddy of mine

Customer Question
pulled the fuse to the...
I have a 2002 Mazda Protege, for some reason a buddy of mine pulled the fuse to the alarm checked it and put it back in and now the car will not start unless I push the override button & turn the ignition key at the same time. I have tried everything to reset it and nothing works. Disabled and cannot afford to send it to the dealer to get fixed.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: car is in park and I'm not sure about the wheel lock feature. I do know the alarm says Mazda on the side of it.
JA: What year is your '02 Mazda2?
Customer: 2002 Protege ES
JA: Are you fixing your Protege yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes trying to reset it myself. Battery is good, starter is good. Everything was fine until my buddy pulled the fuse.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2002 Mazda Protege ES
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 day by:
11/6/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • This Sunday I will be online later than normal due to travelling.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Moose, You let me know what time Sunday evening & I will be available.

I hope to be available before and after dinner.

Is this an aftermarket alarm or immobilizer?

Where on the vehicle is this over ride button?

Which fuse number was removed from which fuse box?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the Alarm says Mazda on it and there is a security system owners manual with it. Override button is under driver side on a metal brace about 8" up. The fuse that was removed was a single pigtail fuse that goes directly to the Security box under the drivers side dash. Fuse is a 20 amp fuse. that was good. everything worked fine before this fuse was pulled out.

Thanks, ***** ***** a dealer installed additional alarm system to the alarm system that came on the vehicle when stock. The system has gone into a mode where as it thinks a thief has tried to disable it by fuse removal. I can no longer access this alarms manual because the vehicle is older than 10 years and Mazda has removed the manual to clear up space for new vehicles in there data base. You however said you have the manual. there should be a section in there about programming the system. Those steps should get the system back working. Another option is to remove this system and fix al lthe wires it is spliced into.

.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help. Rating is the only way I am paid from the deposit you made.

Thanks Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no information on how to reset or reprogram the alarm, only how to locate and press the override button. also wiring that is going to the security Alarm has factory plugs on them, the wiring isn't spliced. guess I'll just have to take it to the Mazda Dealership.

I will opt out and see if another can help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Moose!
Mazda Mechanic: david craig, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
david craig
david craig, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Im David the only way to disable it is with the remote and\or unlocking the driver's door with the key. If unlocking the driver's door with the key doesn't disable it and allow it to start then the dealership is the only option

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David, I have tried those things. Like I said if I hold in on the Emergency Override Button and turn the ignition key to start it, it will start. But the Alarm doesn't reset and work like it should.

ok, well its dealership time sorry to say, but i will opt out and maybe a Mazda dealership tech can give you a different idea, but i cant see how.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you David.
Mazda Mechanic: GDibs, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
GDibs
GDibs, ASE Certified Technician

I might be able to help. When it will "not start" I assume you mean it doesn't turn over. Are there some lights flashing or anything like that? Horn honking? What is the override button you are referring to? I do not recall an override button.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I turn the key it clicks and that's it no alarm goes off no horn honking. The override button is to the alarm. I can get the car to start when I push & hold in the override button and turn the key to start at the same time. I just cannot get the alarm itself to reset. The red light above the steering wheel doesn't flash like it should when I use the key fob to lock the car. I can open the car door with the alarm set and nothing happens. My Mazda Security system owners manuall tells you how to by the alarm by pushing the override button, but it doesn't tell you how to reset the security system. hope this helps

Man that is strange. I do not recall this system on a 2002 model.

I gather you want to keep this system on the car and not just bypass it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's really like a sports model per say for the 2002 Protege ES, a little more sporty has the shifting to make it like a manual trans. it's a very nice car so yes I would like to keep the alarm set up on it if possible. will be gone for awhile so may be a few hours before I respond after this message. So that will give you soem time to ponder on this if needed. Thanks

There is no info on the Mazda Factory site about this system. I will have to do some checking around and see if there is any info on this system can you snap a picture of the module you are pressing the button on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5819 is the override button I've been pushing. 5818 is the fuse that was pulled. 5817 is the security module. 5820 is the security sensor that is also connected to the red security light on the dash. hope this helps
GDibs
GDibs
GDibs, ASE Certified Technician