Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

2003 Mazda 6 4 cylinder code p2004 runner valve stuck, p2004

Customer Question
2003 Mazda 6 4 cylinder...
2003 Mazda 6 4 cylinder code p2004 runner valve stuck
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: p2004 no I have tried to reset it. I went to get a smog check and that was the code for the check engine light.
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought it and want to see if I can fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
9/23/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I wa wondering if I can just spray lots of throttle body cleaner down the throttle body. Or do I have to remove the intake manifold to clean the runner valves.

Yes you can attempt a cleaning. I would remove a vacuum line right behind the throttle body, Start the engine and slowly pour a complete bottle of sea foam through it. This will fog the intake and clean it out including the combustion chamber. This may fix this code but will for sure make the engine run better. Once done you will need to run the engine hard a couple of times to blow out the gunk. It is going to smoke alot. Once done you will need to remove the negative battery cable for 15 minutes to clear this code and any you caused with the open vacuum line. After a week of use if the light has not come back on then get it checked again. Below is a file explaining what this code means.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/VTCS.png

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am going to get a bottle of sea foam and try it. I like the idea and heard great things about sea foam from my friend who works on engines. Probably Saturday I do it.

Glad I could help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The vacuum hose you referred to is that power brakes hose on top of the throttle body? Does it just pull up and out?

Most all hoses to the intake manifold are vacuum hoses, any of which will work. Some are just pushed on and others have a locking clip and connector and some have a squeeze clamp.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The picture shows the hose towards the bottom in the center of the throttle body. I didn't see any clips on the vacuum hose. It has a ridged plastic tube covered by a soft rubber hose. I think it just pulls out, but don't want to damage it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That line is on the side of the throttle body. The one to the the left is on the top center and hooks up to the brakes.

You can disconnect the line at the brake booster if you can not get it off at the throttle body.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician