Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I have exhausted multiple resources to no avail so far.

Customer Question

I have exhausted multiple resources to no avail so far. Basically, my key fob (for a 2015 CX 5) will unlock/lock, but not function to ignite the car. I attempted to remove the manual key from the fob and follow the override start process. This was unsuccessful as well. Everything I have read reveals that this is a somewhat common defect with electrical components. I hope you have some helpful advice?
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: Could the fob still operate the lock function and not the ignition function with a low battery?
JA: Are you fixing your CX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The dealership was not helpful. Two service techs actually told my wife they had no idea what the problem was.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of at this moment.
Category: Mazda
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im David, when you attempt to start the vehicle is the red security light staying on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in fact all of the dashboard lights illuminate upon my attempted starting of the vehicle. The radio/AC will turn on, but no ignition.

you have an immoblizer lock out. let me see if i can get you a rest procedure

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you David. Any assistance would be appreciated.

is the security flashing when you try to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to starting, the anti-theft icon is flashing. Once I attempt to start, all of the icons flash. The steering wheel, ABS, (!), and others continue upon trying to turn the car over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is an image.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any luck?

do you have a spare key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We do not. The one fob is all that was provided at time of purchase.

unfortunately the only thing you can do is go to the dealer and they will need to recode a new key to the VIN for your vehicle. there is no other recourse. as a last resort, try to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect it. also check the ecm fuses in the engine compertment fuse panel. there may also be one in the passenger compartment fuse panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the feedback. How do I go about checking the ecm fuses?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, would replacing the battery in the fob be worthwhile? Or do you believe it is the fob entirely?

if the fob locks and unlocks the doors, then the batteries are fine. open the hood, take the fuse box cover off it should be labeled and look for the ecm or ecu fuses, make sure they arent blown

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any of these what im looking for? I could not find the labels you mentioned.

any one of them that says ENG....