Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  25 yrs. experience with all makes and models. Factory trained on Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

1995 maza miata air is out. Steering is hard

Customer Question

Category: Mazda
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Did the car make any noises or anything prior to this happening?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do not know
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can not afford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
any idea?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok

Normally when you lose a couple of items like this at the same time it's a belt issue. I would start by checking the drive belt, make sure it's tight. If it's loose then tighten it up. If it's off or broken, then spin your pulleys by hand, one might be seized up. This would cause the belt to burn off.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
please answer how one affects the other
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

The drive belt turns the pulley for the air conditioning compressor and the power steering pump. If the belt breaks, then neither is turning when the engine is running. The result, neither will work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thinking about buying car. Can not afford lots of repair
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
money is issue.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
someone told him air was to be totally replaced??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
why would that affect steering?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

If you look at the drive belt and it's broken, then you have to spin those pulleys to see if they are frozen. If one of them is, then it's going to be more expensive then if the belt is loose. If the air conditioning compressor is the issue, then you could run into some really expensive repair. Could be the reason they are selling the car. Even with a used air compressor it could run in $300 + in repair bills. If the whole A/C system has to be replaced, you are looking at a couple grand.

Once again, the drive belt runs the power steering pump and the air compressor....if the p/s pump isn't turning when the engine is running, then you don't get any power steering.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is this only answer i get?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

What other answer do you want? You asked this question and I have more then answered it. If you have a separate or question about something different, then the site requests you to open a new question. After you have rated this one.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just do not understand answer?? Honest. Do not know were belt is.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
can compresser cause hard steering?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
surely he could see lose or broken belt??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
where is drive belt located? Please. Car is good price. Just do not want to end up w junk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
am a women,