Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have a 1999 mazda 2500 with a 2.5 4 cyl engine. the timing

Customer Question

I have a 1999 mazda 2500 with a 2.5 4 cyl engine. the timing belt broke and i have replaced it , now will not start, seems to have no fuel in the fuel rail.Please advise Bill
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 11 months ago.

Hi, Bill, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Have you checked for fuel pressure at the rail yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
just pushed the valve in and no pressure... the trunk was running well before the belt broke... I do not hear any pumps run when I turn on the key , not sure if i should

You are correct, you should hear something when you cycle the key. I assume that this problem was not present before the timing belt snapping?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
trunk was running great , prior to the belt breaking

Ok, I assume that you have something wonky happening, but we will proceed with checks as if it is unrelated to the timing belt, because honestly it shouldn't be.

Start by checking every fuel related fuse and relay in this box

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done that,

ok, fair enough. Have you tried the old school trick involving banging on the gas tank with a rubber hammer to try and get the fuel pump "jarred" into running again?

If doing that works, then you are looking at a bad fuel pump.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did and still no fuel or pressure in the fuel rail

Ok bud, the next step is to check for power to the fuel pump. Are you able to access the wires going under the tank? They should be accessible at some point without pulling down the tank

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Alright, I will get you a diagram of the fuel pump wiring. Do you have a test light to check it with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
test light and meter

Perfect! Give me a moment to get that diagram...

Here is the diagram of the pump...

Before you test the pump, check this inertia switch for continuity and make sure it is pushed in. Let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked the inertia switch and power does come out on the pink and black wire when you first crank the truck . I am not sure of the color of the power wire going to the fuel pump. However I did spray starting fluid in the intake hose and it still did not want to start...even without fuel in the fuel rail I was thinking it should try to start

Yes, that is absolutely correct. Did it buck as if it was trying to start or just nothing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nothing

Have you tested for compression to make sure that the valve train was not damaged when the belt broke or that the timing is correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will run a compression test tomorrow. But does turn over like it has compression

Yeah, I figured you would have noticed if it had no compression... the only other thing I can think of at the moment would be the crankshaft sensor...do you remember unplugging it to do the timing belt? I think that one is located in the rear anyway but its worth asking about

Nope, that sensor is on the front of your engine...you should check the connector if you haven't done so already. That would account for no start with fuel added

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sensor untouched, still plugged in. Even with no compression doesn't explain why the fuel rail has no pressure and I don't hear the pump run even for a short time.

I absolutely agree, I just want to try and tie something together with the timing belt incident since it was running perfectly fine before that happened.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I agree, I can still check the fuel pump. What Color wire feeds the pump. Don't see the pink and black

The pink and black wire is the one that should provide power to the pump...when you checked the inertia switch, you said that there was power going through it, correct?

Hi bud this is josh checking in to see if you still need help. Also, please take a moment to rate my service!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still same problem, getting ready to check compression. Will update you after that

Great, thanks for the update! I will stand by!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Engine has compression. Still no fuel in the fuel rail.

Ok, so did you say that you do have voltage going through the inertia switch? Or was it just continuity

Sorry, I just went back and read it and you said that there was power going through it. This means that unless there is a broken wire between the fuel pump and the inertia switch, the fuel pump is receiving power and still not working. At this point I believe you will need to access the actual pump to verify if the power is getting all the way to the pump.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have 12 volts on the black and pick wire short time when cranking the engine

Unless you have a lift, I would suggest removing the bed of the truck instead of dropping the gas tank. This is usually the easiest way to get it off

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok

Let me know how it goes!