Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I have a 2007 CX-7 that started fine this morning, my

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2007...
Hello, I have a 2007 CX-7 that started fine this morning, my husband drove about 5 miles shut it off to go into a store and it would not restart when he tried a few minutes later. He had a friend jump start it and was able to make it about 2 miles but whenever he hit the brakes all the lights and dash went crazy
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: It then shut down completely and would not start until jumped again...we did this, had it running for a while, turned it off, tried to start it again without the "emergency" key and it killed it again. When you apply the brake while it is dead all the guages jump all over in the dashboard
JA: Are you fixing your CX-7 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, he has not checked the fuses, just the battery. all the dashboard bulbs work when it is going insane, it is really crazy how everything flashes and goes crazy. We have tried jumping the battery and that was all for now. I have read lots of blogs that mention issues with the security and electrical system.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that should be good.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
8/22/2016
Mazda Mechanic: Ron Z., - Mazda Tech - replied 1 year ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mazda Tech -

From what you are describing here, it sounds like a problem in the Charging Syste. Very likely, a failing Alternator. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please rate or accept!

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Was the Alternator the problem? Were there any other questions you had on this issue? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Mazda Tech -