Drew
Drew, Super Mazda Tech.
Experience:  19 yrs. experience. Mazda Senior Certified Tech, with Ford, Linc. & Merc. experience. ASE L1 Advanced Certified Master Tech.
49548721

I need to remove the sliding cover on the center console in

Customer Question

I need to remove the sliding cover on the center console in my 2011 Mazda cx9, my son's iPhone slid down the small space
Category: Mazda
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry that happened. I can't say I haven't been there a few times myself. Give me just a minute and I'll find you something that should help you.

CONSOLE COVER REMOVAL

Please click the blue link above and let me know if that helps you at all.

if you are referring to the console lid, it snaps in with 4 tabs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's the lid that covers the cup holders, where are the tabs?

The lid that covers the cup holders are part of the cup holder assembly. To remove that, you first have to remove the console lid, then the cup holder. both just snap right out. i'll get you an illustration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received the diagram, but can't locate the tabs where are they in reference to the lid covering the cup holders

they are underneath. You wouldn't be able to see them. They just snap in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I reach them

you would have to remove the console to reach them but the lid should just snap out. it won't?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid if I pull too hard it will break

I understand your fear. That's how it comes apart though as per the diagram. If you remove that rear piece i showed earlier, can he reach it that way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to try. is this the 2011 cx9 picture

yes. this is for the 2011

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see or feel any tabs to pull as indicated in the diagram for removing the back of the console

you can't see them. They are hidden. when you pull the cover away from the console, you'll see the tabs that were holding it on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to need to take it to the dealership, I'm afraid I'm going to break a piece by pulling too hard, which could be a costly mistake

If your gentle and careful, I don't think it'll break, but again. I do understand your fear.