Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 V6 (about 60k miles). It has a loud

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2006 Mazda 6 V6 (about 60k miles). It has a loud rattle at idle. If I raise the rpms to about 1500 or higher it goes away. Replaced belt and tensioner, no help. Started motor with belt off, still makes noise. Water pump replaced, still makes noise. I'm running out of things to replace. Any suggestions?
Category: Mazda
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Timing chain noise most likely if it is coming from the front of the engine. You would need to remove the front timing cover to verify. That would be the first thing I would look at.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please rate at the top of the screen. We can continue to work on your question, rating does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have. Thanks Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I can look into the issue. Instead of going deep into the timing cover, can I take the front valve cover off to verify that there is tension on the chain or will this not show the issue. Thanks, Dylan.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can do that, but it will be more difficult. You need to be able to see the tensioners.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I understand. I just spoke with someone at my local dealership who has experienced workers to verify if timing chains are replaced on this motor regularly. Their 20 plus years of experience tech has never seen a v6 Mazda with timing issue. Is there something else I can look for before sending my car in for an actual full diagnoses, or pulling it apart myself. I'm not doubting you completely, just wondering if anything else could be the culprit. Thanks!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You said the valves and cams look good, could be in the lower end. Tough to diagnose without actually hearing the noise for myself. How is the oil level?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You could pull the valve covers and verify valves and cams and lifters look good, could be in the lower end. Tough to diagnose without actually hearing the noise for myself. How is the oil level?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means it’s no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated. If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and what I can do to help you more. I do not get compensated for my time unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan