Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I want help I have my RX8 that will not start! the problem commancer it two months ago I had noticed that there was...

Customer Question
hello all I want help...
hello all I want help I have my RX8 that will not start! the problem commancer it two months ago I had noticed that there was water on the head of the boot candle I disassemble the engine change just the seal that was damn! Here I have everything back but the engine still does not start I do not know what to do! I remind you that I change the pump Gas Powered, the starter; the candle; and the coil;
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/7/2016
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

the ignition coils on this engine are very prone to burning out

if you remove the coils and examine the underside for whitish burn signs as these show where the coil has overheated

as there are 2 per rotor chamber so the engine will run on 1 coil / plug but this results in a lot of unburnt fuel which then washes off the oil and accelerates tip wear

so its also worth doing a compression test

to properly test the engine's cranking compression pressure the battery must be fully charged, the starter in good condition, and the engine must be at normal operating temperature. Testing the cranking compression with the engine cold will most likely produce a false (higher than correct) reading. Remove all four spark plug wires to prevent the engine from firing. Next, remove the leading spark plugs (bottom plugs) only.

Unless you are able to start the engine using a remote engine starter, have an assistant crank the engine during the test. First, crank the engine with the throttle wide open to purge the housings of any liquid. Insert a compression gauge (if so equipped, disable the gauge's feature which retains the highest reading) into one of the leading spark plug holes and crank the engine long enough to obtain at least eight (8) compression pulses. Repeat the test on this chamber at least once more to confirm your readings. Insert the gauge in the remaining leading spark plug hole and repeat the test procedure.

If you see an increase in the cranking compression reading in increments that become smaller at a uniform rate, this indicates even compression on all sides of that rotor. On the other hand, if the cranking compression increases or decreases in erratic steps there is a fault with one or more seals in that rotor. For example, one higher cranking compression pulse followed by two lower cranking compression pulses followed by another higher cranking compression pulse followed by two lower cranking compression pulses strongly suggests the failure of one apex seal, corner seal, and/or side seal set. Continuous low cranking compression pulses strongly suggest the failure of at least two apex seal, corner seal and/or side seal sets.

Based on our experience, with the engine "hot", the compression pressures for a healthy engine are as follows:

- Normal compression - 110-150 PSI
- Minimum acceptable pressure - 75 PSI
- Maximum acceptable pressure difference between chambers - 20 PSI

350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer