Mazda

Mazda Repair Questions? Ask Mechanics for Answers ASAP

Mazda

I have a 92 Mazda b2600i extended cab se-5, manual, 4X4. Its giving me some really weird symptoms;

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 92...
Hello, I have a 92 Mazda b2600i extended cab se-5, manual, 4X4. Its giving me some really weird symptoms;
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Mazda. The Mazda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: So, it will start, run really good for anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes, then, it starts missing to the point it dies. If I repeatedly tap the gas pedal it kinda comes back, then dies. I tested mass airflow, TPS, coolant temp sensor, checked fuel pressure regulator relay, fuel filter, and everything is in spec. So I figured it was probably the ECM, but it was replaced with a reman in '05 and the board looked and smelt fine. The MIL light is illuminated but when i ground the test lead it wont blink me any codes, and the reset procedure makes no differance. Fuel delivery seemes ok, it has a check valve but without a pressure gage i just push the valve with a screw driver and fuel sprays like crazy. Nit sure what to test next and need some guidance...
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: Yes, the MIL is illuminated and nothing happens when the test plug is grounded, won't give codes, and reset makes no difference
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Of course
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Almost everything
JA: Is there anything else the Mazda Mechanic should be aware of about your Mazda?
Customer: '92 b2600i extended cab se-5 manual 4x4
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mazda
6/5/2016
Mazda Mechanic: 350matt, Engineer replied 1 year ago
350matt
350matt, Engineer

Hello

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could notbe running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the injectors with a gauge , as just pushing in the check valve will only show if there's 1 Bar + when you need to see if there's 2.5bar ( correct) and if this is low check the pump as described

if this is OK then

This could be a wiring issue as things tend to expand when hot and its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle position sensor

unplug each in turn and use some switch / contact cleaner spray on the pins to ensure its all grease / dirt free

Also worth checking the connections to the fuel pump for the same reason - unplug each in turn and give them a good squirt of switch / contact cleaner - Not WD40

and also unplug and inspect the main power relays and fuses for signs of overheating or corroded terminals - so the ones for the ECU and the fuel pump

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Excellent thank you, ***** ***** do you make of the MIL not giving any codes, or resetting with the rest procedure? I've heard the reman computers are not to be trusted and I should have a company rebuild it.

Hello

I've known the early MIL / OBD systems to be easily fooled where unless the wire is broken you don't a light

hence my suggestions of checking the connections 1 at a time

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

350matt
350matt
350matt, Engineer