peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 with non-Bose radio and the radio

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 with non-Bose radio and the radio illumination is not working correctly (very dim blue center light and very dim orange button lights when not working). I was told by two dealers that the issue is with the instrument cluster. Based on what I've found on the internet it looks like there is a wire from the headlight switch and a second wire from the instrument cluster (one + light green wire and one gray - wire) that work in this circuit. I've put a meter on the gray wire from the instrument cluster and it reads around 2V. The light green wire reads 12V when the headlight switch is turned on. Can you confirm how this is supposed to work as I'm having a difficult time understanding. Frustrating because lights will be dim with headlights on, then sporadically light up while driving...annoying!
JA: Working headlights are essential for a safe drive. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with will have just the tips you need for a quick fix. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It's not the headlights it's the radio illumination that is not working.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mazda Mechanic should know about your Mazda?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mazda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Mazda
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The instrument cluster at fault is most common for this issue here.You may have the correct voltage on the wires but not enough amperage on these wires and this will cause this issue with the instrument cluster needing repaired or replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain how the illumination circuit for the radio is supposed to work in some detail (wires, volts, amps required) and provide some diagrams? I'm most interested in how the entire circuit functions with the headlight and key switches. Before I change out a cluster I want to make sure this is absolutely going to correct the problem. Thank you.
Unfortunately I not have or show the voltage or amperage for this wire or this circuit here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete